Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More than diet

Exercise can be good or bad. It can be bad when you don't know what you are doing, get bored with your routine, don't see any results, or simply hate being in the gym. It can be great when you feel it . . . When you see the difference, and when you have achieved something.

In the past I have avoided the gym like the plague. I hate jogging in one place watching a TV. I hate weight lifting next to the body builder, or walking past the pony-tailed barbie-doll complaining that her plastic surgeon is out of town. I need a task, a focus, something that I feel has a purpose.

In the spirit of moving and being active I volunteered my time to a friend who recently bought a home with her partner. So this last Saturday, we were able to lay enough sod to cover their back yard with grass... It only took 3 hours (including lunch)... but let me tell you, it felt GOOD! It was stimulating and i was excited to see the end result... which looked great! Not to mention that my legs, thighs, butt, calves and arms have been sore since Saturday. It was a wonderfully rewarding workout...

I have, btw, finally found some additional motivation. I recently got in touch with an old flame form high school... it was the typical high school crush. He was the handsome basketball player, and I was smitten. 4 years of giggles ensued until somehow, by design of a common friend, we ended up going to Sr. Prom together... only to find that the pressure of 4 years of crushing on each other left us both mute... LOL! i kid you now, we did not share a single word that night, or since.

Needless to say, i was somewhat surprised when he added me as a friend on FB a few weeks ago. And he certainly has no problems conversing these days. Not to mention shamelessly flirting with me. And I love it! It is safe and fun (after all he is more than half a world away!). At the same time, his confidence, his physical fitness is a bit overwhelming. . . Its been more than 14 years since high school, and he still looks exactly the same. . .  Regardless... I seem to be smitten all over again. And suddenly feel the urge to look better... to work out.

Let see if I follow through on this and sign up for the gym membership I just priced out...

235lbs, signing out!



No comments:

Post a Comment