Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Why you should focus on lifestyle and not on tracking numbers

We all have a goal weight we want to reach. I am okay with that. But the daily weighing in, the counting of calories in and calories out, can overwhelm a creative soul like me... or turn someone a little more organized into an obsessive food and activity freak. Neither are good for you. And one of the biggest disappointments for folks who have a lot of weight to loose is when they eat right, and work out and seem to gain weight (muscle does not weigh more than fat! A pound is a pound... but you can gain muscle faster than you can burn fat. So it feels like you are gaining weight instead of loosing)

For me, I weigh myself rarely. I judge my success on how my clothing fits. On how much energy i have, and how I feel. And after a couple of weeks on how many comments I get from the folks that see me daily... 

Prime example. I have not done my shopping yet. I have not worked out. I have not made any significant changes yet. (Ok, to be fair to myself, I did walk the dog around the park as I had promised myself to do!). BUT, upon the chance encounter with a scale in the 3rd floor bathroom at work (I never use that one, so had no clue there was a scale), i weighed in at 235.4lbs. Come on. I have never hit the under 240 mark before. But there is no reason for the weight loss (other than not having had the time to drink my usual amount of H2O...)... 


Image borrowed from a great Sideshow on WebMD: Check it out!

So how reliable is weighing? It is only relevant if you do it over a period of time... as a ball park figure. I, personally will weigh in only when i feel a significant change in my clothing or energy levels... make that about once a month. With such a large gap, you have a better concept of how your weight compares to before. 

So, here I am, 235lbs, signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment